Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2014-02-17 16:59:12

a100171

Proxmark3 Q: - software updates/compatibility with newer cards

I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a Proxmark3 unit. I have been futzing around with a [previously recommended ACR-122u] reader that I just can't get working right.
  This is not a little bit of personal money, and I am concerned that I am going to get an "older" model, or something with ancient firmware if I go "bargain shopping". I am also wondering what the chances of this unit working with the newer offerings with respect to SmartCard chips/technology.
   I work in the Corporate world, and intend on running our existing credentials through penetration testing (e.g. MFOC), and to use the results to demonstrate the need to migrate to newer cards and various authentication mechanisms. I could never get MFOC to work under any OS build with this damn reader. I was going to look at some less expensive "supportable" offerings with respect to alleged "supported" hardware, but enough is enough.
  Also, why does the community not have an OTS kit, e.g. where a chunk of profit goes somewhere decent (e.g. the code writers)?  Should I be using a Proxmark "link" to order (will this benefit anyone here, I would rather that someone here did benefit)?

#2 2014-08-19 04:45:36

kwx
Contributor

Re: Proxmark3 Q: - software updates/compatibility with newer cards

Hi there.
The ACR-122U can be finicky, but it should work perfectly under windows / linux / mac with a decent build.
If you're on windows / linux, I could probably supply you with the executables that I use with success.

I think if you're just looking to crack, a PM3 might be slighlty overkill - but that's just my opinion smile

#3 2014-08-19 06:51:14

0xFFFF
Administrator

kwx wrote:

I think if you're just looking to crack, a PM3 might be slighlty overkill - but that's just my opinion smile

I agree. IF you are looking at cracking MIFARE Classic only, you already have the minimum amount of hardware required.

What do you want to do with the PM3 / ACR-122U?

If you are concerned about purchasing a defective/dodgy PM3, then I'd suggest buying from here: http://proxmark3.com/
All of the developers here (to my knowledge) give of their own free time and resources. No one is paid to work on the PM3. Some contributors have been paid (/sent items) by other forum members to thank them for their hard work.
You do not need to worry about out of date firmware. The PM3 is an ongoing project and you are likely going to want to upgrade the PM3 a number of times after you receive it.

The biggest problem with the PM3 IMO is that the design is getting old. Some parts will get difficult to source in the future. Before then, a redesign should be considered.
Depending on what you're after, this shouldn't put you off getting the PM3.

If the community agreed on committing to a re-design, we could consider financial incentives.

#4 2014-08-19 12:53:23

marshmellow
Contributor

I've had similar problems, but that is because I struggle to get the environment right to compile.  @kwx if you are willing to share a compiled stable version for windows I for one would be great full.

But I do like the proxmark for its versatility.

#5 2014-08-20 19:18:06

kwx
Contributor

Here is my latest compiled version for windows. Should work w/ the ACR-122u out of the box.
This might even have my modified version of MFOC that takes a file full of keys as well (can't remember..)

http://ninjito.com/libnfc2.zip

#6 2014-08-24 01:35:55

marshmellow
Contributor

Thx!

Board footer