Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2020-07-18 11:08:00

Rosco
Contributor

Stacking a ProxLF antenna on top of a HF antenna

I'm looking at this picture: that's what I want to do, but I don't want to saw off my dual-frequency antenna.

Before I mess up my dual-frequency antenna, wouldn't it be enough to remove the smaller LF antenna on top of it, then stacking the ProxLF on top of the - now connected to nothing - LF pads on the HF antenna PCB with spacers and longer screws? Or are there LF-related components on the HF PCB that would mess up the ProxLF's tuning?

Or possibly do that with a HF-only antenna such as this one? Surely the LF side pads on that antenna are just there for localization.

Last edited by Rosco (2020-07-18 11:08:31)

#2 2020-07-18 12:17:07

mwalker

Re: Stacking a ProxLF antenna on top of a HF antenna

You should be able to remove the lf antenna screws and have a look.

I did it on the original one (without the High/low Q switch), and it looks like 2 Capacitors and a resistor on the HF board.

The two capacitors appeared to be connected between the raw and ground (only had a quick look), so would still have some capacitance when the antenna is removed.  I assume they are there to tune the antenna to the resonant frequency. 

I would expect if you connected the other one while they were still there it may de-tune the new antenna somewhat, but you could test and see how much of an impact it has.

A 2nd option would be to get a HF only antenna (e.g. one with more gain maybe), then add the new to that (as it wont have any LF components on it, or tracks.

If you want to play you could solderer the capacitors and resistor, but you would still have the tracks that "may" have an affect as well.

I would be interested in how you go and your findings.

#3 2020-07-18 12:28:21

Rosco
Contributor

Okay I've taken a look: sadly the LF daughterboard is just a carrier board for the coil. There's extra electronics on the HF board that needs to be disconnected, and that ain't happening without essentially destroying the LF part of it.

I thought of enlarging the 3 LF-side connector holes to drill out the metal inside the holes, and then using thin nylon washers to isolate the top and bottom pads, so longer screws would pass through them to the ProxLF above without touching them. But then I thought better of it and left it alone.

I'll buy another antenna.

Last edited by Rosco (2020-08-05 12:59:58)

#4 2020-08-05 00:30:37

Rosco
Contributor

mwalker wrote:

A 2nd option would be to get a HF only antenna (e.g. one with more gain maybe), then add the new to that (as it wont have any LF components on it, or tracks.

This is exactly what I ended up doing:

21932c93a5a5900ebf8a6c7bb42e65311c6ca37f.jpeg

Details on the DT forum here.

#5 2020-08-05 09:27:02

iceman
Administrator
Website

Looks like Deviant Ollam's mod,  its a cool mod,  perfect for Biohackers

#6 2020-12-07 06:02:37

merdenoms
Contributor